Sign in to follow this  
solace88

R34 assistance please!

Hi all

Hope everyone is keeping well. Just wanted to ask for an opinion regarding a gear problem in a R34 skyline that he bought locally here. It drives well except when shifting into 4th or 5th gear he describes grinding and unable to shift smoothly into the gear. However, once it is in it seems to engage and goes alright (does not stall). Does this sound like a worn synchro/ gearbox? Where would you take an R34 to do some work on and what are the estimate costs you looking at?

Thanks for reading!

worn synchro i would be saying, they have a twin ringed one in the R34 box or called double synchro anyway they are pretty expensive to rebuild but if you can remove the box then i know a place locally that has done them before :)

Sounds like my gearbox from 3rd-4th. Been told it's a worn syncho too.

ayye thanks for the replies. How much did it cost you to fix and where did you take it? its got a couple of other issues to fix as well, cracked strut bar and a few other things.. thanks mate

When i replaced 2nd gear baulk ring in my celica ages ago i think it only cost $70 genuine. The expensive part was all the bearings i had to replace to do the job (not essential just did it because it was apart). Point is price depends on how much you do to it whilst its apart..... Not that hard to do with an exploded veiw of box and a press though. Good luck

+1 to worn synchro

Sounds similar, if not exactly how my gearbox in my R34 was acting a few weeks ago.

When I took my clutch out, I realised it was cracked on the centre plate. The thrust bearing and spigot bush were also stuffed.

If you guys are keen on removing the gearbox yourself, I say take it off and see what the clutch is like. If it's visibily damaged, replace that, along and the spigot bush (like $3) and also put some Redline Lightweight Shockproof oil in the gearbox. It's around $100 for 4 Litres.

Not saying this is your exact problem, but it worked for me and mine is perfect now, feels better than ever.

Mainly just make sure you know what's wrong with it before you pay someone a stack of money for labour.