Sign in to follow this  
s13-ca18det

Carbon Fibre Bonnets - Legal if engineered?

s13cbonnet.jpg

Has anyone actually inquired into whether cf bonnets are legal or not? I can't say that I've seen many around surprisingly...

Also, it doesn't actually say on the rta website that they are illegal. They just need to be to Australian standard/approved or something like that...

I have rang up the company selling the bonnet i want to invest in, and apparently, it has the required sticker on it to make it road worthy / legal, so the young chap tells me anyways

this was what i was told, having called the rta twice i got a different answer both times. first time saying it was ok if older than 94 and the second time said it was just illegal... either way cops will target it and defect you anyways. it will only come into play getting it cleared from defect. that saying that my bro hasn't had any problems with his for over a year. ps changing a bonnet is really easy if you do need to change it... up to you if you go for it.

thats my bonnet! get your own!!tonguebigeye.gif

just get it dude and keep your std one..if they pin you,change it over back to std for clearance..

full carbon fibre bonnet is a defect and illegal... they blab on about in an accident it shatters instead of crumbles like a standard bonnet..!

Aren't bonnet pins illegal too due to the fact they're pointy, you know like hit, stab, ouchy

Aren't bonnet pins illegal too due to the fact they're pointy, you know like hit, stab, ouchy

yeah they are illegal

still yet to see a "full carbon bonnet" in australia.

99.9% of carbon bonnets in Australia are fibreglass with a layer of carbon layed over the top.

it's just a defect that stands out hence they ping you on it.

my gold car used to get picked on all the time in qld, now i have a (far more dangerous IMO) fibreglass bonnet which i haven't been hassled for once!

been through the pits with pins and fiberglass bonnet no problems never been through with carbon bonnet yet, but my brother has been pulled up but didnt get defected for it just said it has the fiberglass ribbing and it was ADR approved and they belived it :P

Just get it man or get the fiber glass one and paint it back :)

I was told by a fibreglasser (who's been doing it for 30 odd years) that the carbon fibre bonnets aren't any good in Australian weather anyway, apprently they're only good for a year or so, and then they start getting yellow stains appearing on them, so he advised me against it, does anyone know anything about that?

Also it's only illegal if you have a car made after 1994, pre 1994 and you can have carbon fibre.... go figure?

I was told by a fibreglasser (who's been doing it for 30 odd years) that the carbon fibre bonnets aren't any good in Australian weather anyway, apprently they're only good for a year or so, and then they start getting yellow stains appearing on them, so he advised me against it, does anyone know anything about that?

Also it's only illegal if you have a car made after 1994, pre 1994 and you can have carbon fibre.... go figure?

had my carbon fibre bonnet in my shed for almost 2 years..

still looks brand new.

fiber glass are ALOT lighter than stock so thats a fail story just depends on the car how much lighter eg evo 3 bonnets are alloy so they are light already R33 bonnets a heavy as sh&t and is lighter....

Yes they do go yellow and white and look crap after a while long as its sprayed in clear coat from a panel shop they are fine, Blitz bonnets are the only ones i know of that are ADR approved