Sign in to follow this  
sixteenshots

The fight game

I've noticed over my time on the forum that there are a number of blokes either training or fighting in boxing, muay thai, kickboxing or MMA.

This thread is to discuss all things fight related and post any good articles on Skills work, conditioning, road work, making weight, nutrition, recovery, gym's etc.

I've got a couple of question's to start off.

What are the guy's training for fights diet's like? what sort of macro ratio are you eating? a lot more carbs than the boy's training for strength and size? what sort of peri workout nutrition have you found to be best?

Also does anyone on the forum train boxing in Wollongong or know of any good trainer's in the area?

Cheers.

i do boxing and my diet is no different to someone who lifts and doesnt box.

ull find that it is very common in boxers. core strength is a must in boxing.

i fought competitively for about 3 years (boxing) and i must admit my diet was vastly different now too what it is weight training

we listened to what our coach said as he was one of the best in australia, but in hind sight, his nutrition and diet advice wasnt the best

lose weight = sweat it out

discipline = sweat it out

warm up = sweat it out

get the picture?

if i knew what i know now, i think i would have found it much easier too cut weight for weigh ins rather than not eating and sweat sweat sweat if u had too try make weight for weigh in lol

i do boxing and my diet is no different to someone who lifts and doesnt box.

ull find that it is very common in boxers. core strength is a must in boxing.

I'm sure most boxer's would eat a lot more carb's, especially before training would they not?

When i lift, i train for about 40 minutes, 60 minutes on the max.

When i box i train for upwards of of 2 hours, and it's a mix of aerobic and anaerobic work. So straight away the energy demands are gonna be different.

How long before training do you guy's eat?

There's no point asking hte trainer's at my gym as like ECC said they are old school and most their knowledge comes from the 80's hahaha

Oh btw who are you guy's backing pacman or hatton? i'm on pac, a bunch of my philo mates converted me back when he was at war with Barrera, should be a good fight.

i normally fight 2-3kgs below my walking weight. i'm 180cm fight at 70-71.5, up coming to a fight i would clean up my diet. I train 5-6 days a week hard cardio and soarring. Eve with the worst diet you will still lose weight.

I myself have no strict diet, unless i have to cut more than 5kgs. Eat what makes you feel good and recover. Plenty of water coming up to a weigh in, this way the body will let you cut the weight easier.

No food 24hours before the weigh in.. :)

Sauna suit and sauna works if neccessary.

i would be on high carb food early in the day.. after training it will be lean protein foods. I would adjust day to day pending on how my body feels, and also mainly seeing what weight i will have to be fighting at.

Yeah not concerned with making any weight atm. Though i walk around at about 86kg atm, will be fighting at light heavy 81kg. There is no way i will be dehydrating or fasting though, not with weight in's 1 hour before fight, will do more harm then good.

weigh ins 1 hour before fight? all pro and semi pro weigh in 24 hours before fight? what do you fight in?

Amateur boxing. They hold the weigh in close to fight so fighter's are forced to fight at there natural weight, rather than de-hydrating 5kg's.

a way to condition ur shins in muay thai is to rub a glass bottle up and down ur shins to damage the nerves which will then be desensitised.

a way to condition ur shins in muay thai is to rub a glass bottle up and down ur shins to damage the nerves which will then be desensitised.

ur better off just kicking a heavy bag

a padded bag wont induce the trauma needed to calcify the bone. a glass bottle doesnt do it either but it will damage the nerves enough so u can start kicking hard without having to stop after 2 kicks. when u kick another guys shin its not like a punching bag, its sharp and hard.

non turbo, marko is right. kicking a punching bag is not enough. u need to destroy the nerves in ur shins and kicking a punching bag just wont cut it.

my mate started off doing the glass bottle rolling as well mark, then would just keep tapping a cricket bat on his chins after that, then moved on to getting a street sign pole and kicking that.

i never said he was wrong. The heavy bags im referring to are barely padded, feel like your kicking a tree wrapped in leather and are quite effective at deadening the nerves.

yeh i do muay thai. a bag is too round and when u kick a bag the contact is at least half the shin which speads to blow out, kicking a banana or palm tree trunk or tapping a metal pole concentrates the blow to a smaller spot giving more damage.

My diet is pretty much just eat every 2.5-3hrs... protein, carbs and fat every meal, whether im training kickboxing/mma or lifting, day to day it doesn't change.

Anyone else been watching The Ultimate Fighter 9 UK vs USA??

Looks to me like Bisping's boys are gonna kick the shit outta the yanks :thumbsup:

Mondays PTC newsletter will have quite a bit on MMA strength and conditioning training, it covers ablsolute strength and sustained strength.

Anyone else been watching The Ultimate Fighter 9 UK vs USA??

Looks to me like Bisping's boys are gonna kick the shit outta the yanks :thumbsup:

of course

the yanks lack discipline and even struggle to make fight weight.

lol at the guy kicked out of the house for having herpes

lol at that frank lester guy getting his teeth knocked out into his mouth gaurd

it seems everyone has their money on that andre winner guy to win his weight category

"Team" US wants to fight each other :lol:

Any of you guys know any good Muay Thai gyms around the Sydney north shore area?

wait so in muay thai you basically wreck your shins something crazy? sounds so painful but i can understand if your actually doing proper fights as to why you would do it my shin can take like nothing and i'm on the ground crying like a girl haha

wait so in muay thai you basically wreck your shins something crazy? sounds so painful but i can understand if your actually doing proper fights as to why you would do it my shin can take like nothing and i'm on the ground crying like a girl haha

Why train to be strong need to defend yourself and break your own leg in the process? Muay thai trianing is generally alot of fighting, not like kung fu ect al prancing aorund together all lesson perfecting pattern work..

Practical wam bam thank you man..

ive just started doing muay thai. the intensity of the training is insane we do alot of bag work but its also bout getting the fitness levels up n stamina, when i 1st started 3wks ago i could barely kick the bags/pads hard at all but now im kicking it pretty damn hard haha. only cos it hurt my shins sumthin chronic haha. im 120kgs atm aiming 2 get 2 around 100-110kg mark. im just eating as healthy as i can. u do still need ur core strength 2 kick hard n punch hard etc.

You guys all need to watch the movie Kickboxer with Jean Claude Van Damme, everything you need to know is in this film, everything.

Your all pussies untill you can break a palm tree in half lol

kicking with ur shins is more powerful than with ur foot. just think about it, ur foot has very small bones which can break easily whereas ur shin is a thick bone. i was watching this fight science thing on youtube and they had a comparison of kicks between the different martial arts where they would kick a proper ANCAP crash test dummy to measure the force in lbs inflicted into the chest. the muay thai fighter ended up with something like 1000lbs of force which deflected the chest of the dummy like 3cm, more than the rest of the other fighters.

at the end they had a swing at the dummy with the baseball bat and the bat only managed 960lbs which is quite scary that someone can use their shins like a baseball bat.

that kickboxer movie is awesome!