Sign in to follow this  
Brado_s13

S15 thermo fans

Looking at putting thermo fans in to replace the stock fan, anyone know ideal temp for the sr20 for when fans kick in and turn off? If anyone has a thermo fan setup help a bro out

You want it hotter than that. 80-85 would be better. Needs to be higher than the thermostat opening temp

The only reason for thermofans is to gain more room in front, perhaps for nicer cooler piping. There is literally no other benefits in doing it.

Other reasons include:

1. Installing a mid-mount or W2A intercooler.

2. Better cooling at idle with the thermos running at full speed.

3. Better temperature control with a digital fan controller, assuming the thermo fan setup is capable of moving some serious CFM.

In saying all of that, I do somewhat agree with you, in so much as a reason is needed to justify the deviation from what is otherwise a functional and reliable oem cooling system.

You want it hotter than that. 80-85 would be better. Needs to be higher than the thermostat opening temp

I have nismo low temp thermostat, I believe it opens at 62deg

Running so cool isn't that good. SR20s are designed to run at 83*c. I have any thermos and they're set so that the fan on the hot side of the engine comes on at 84 and the second kicks in at 87. Each fan switches off 4deg below it's on temp. This keeps temp around 82 for 90% of the time and avoids excessive cycling or battery draw

Running so cool isn't that good. SR20s are designed to run at 83*c. I have any thermos and they're set so that the fan on the hot side of the engine comes on at 84 and the second kicks in at 87. Each fan switches off 4deg below it's on temp. This keeps temp around 82 for 90% of the time and avoids excessive cycling or battery draw

I had separate control for fans too.

Do you have any ducting or air guides for the radiator or even

Undertray?

How stable is your temp around the track?

Also in my setup the sensor is bolted to water neck - it's not water temperature sensor, so it's a little slower to react, that's why the temps are lower

Yeah it more for room in bay more them anything really, just needed to know the temps coz everyone tends to run different or have different opinions on things, but cheers guys appreciated 👌

I used a Tridon thermo switch TFS140 (on 85 off 80) to trigger the fans in series, then switched to parallel for high when ac is on etc.