benson93

Jaycar Speedo corrector compatible with Nissan speed sender ?

I am stuffing around trying to install a jaycar speedo corrector into my S13 silvia with a rb25 box, it is currently reading about half what it should be, the unit is not recognizing the signal from the speed sensor, I was after a conformation from anyone who has successfully used and installed one of these units on a rb25 box...or a SR box as I believe the sensors use the same 'style' of pulse.

I have searched and there is a few results of varying degrees of conformation / uncertainty etc. so any first hand 100% information would be good.

*I have confirmed the sensor is working

*The yellow/ blue wire is the one i have cut behind the cluster to use as the 'signal' wire, it is the wire coming from the sensor and it is wired to the unit 'input' from the sensor and 'output' to the speedo.

*The unit is receiving the AC voltage from the sensor to the input on the circuit board

*My cluster is a Digital speedo display (shouldn't matter)

It appears the unit does not recognize the Input of the Rb25 sender ????

If anyone has any 'smoking gun' info that would be great or even suggestions / personal experiences with this unit that would also be great.

Piss the jaycar junk off and get a dakota digital setup.

So no one has successfully instaled a jaycar unit ?

Knowing the basic circuit that all speedo converters should be using makes me wonder why anyother unit will be different and can only find dakota ones overseas...if it dont work more of a headache returning it...have you had any first hand experience with both or either of these units protius ? As in jaycar didn't work but the dakota did? Im after some for of electronic advice as to what signal each can and cant recieve etc.

Edited by benson93

I was using a Jaycar one with a z32 box. Worked fine. RB box should be the same.

Now using a Dakota digital one with the z33 box, just using magnets and a pickup off the tailshaft for the input...

The dakota one is a lot better, easier to use and a lot more options.

Thanks sc s15, so when you were using the jaycar unit or for that matter the dakota you just used the signal wire direct from the sensor for input as per instructions ?

Leave it as is.

"I was only doing 100 officer, i swear."

Is It any different to this unit as this is what I'm about to install and use. Fairly sure it's the same thing as the Alphaomegaracing sold unit.

http://hmbe.com.au/products/speedometer-calibrator

http://alphaomegaracing.com/p/63/c/73/Z33/ALPHA-OMEGA/Speedo-Corrector-Version-2.html

Any good/bad experience with this unit?

Yeah it was set up as per jaycar instructions. It worked fine.

Did you build your own kit?

Yeah it was set up as per jaycar instructions. It worked fine.

Did you build your own kit?

S14 with std box, all i did was change diff ratio.

Tried 2 jaycar units both failed.

Important note - got the 2nd to be sure first wasn't broken after install. Supplied jaycar instructions had wiring diagram different to that shown on the box and i didn't notice till i'd run through all setup steps with no success.

When picking up the 2nd device, told to throw away supplied instructions in the box and download correct ones from their site.

2nd also went back, still didn't work.

I actually checked the voltage across the device while in gear, wheels turning. All good, device just couldn't interpret output a signal. Speedo would read zero until i removed device connected signals wires together.

I cut into speedo wire behind the dash, +\- i got from stereo circuit as I was installing new head unit at the time.

Dakota\Hummingbird both mentioned no returns I needed to check signal vs their specs before ordering.

Anyone got an oscilloscope in Melbourne to check?

Sic s15 - No mate It is a already assembled unit, so frustrating indeed having it not working........the fact that you have had one working as it should makes it even more confusing....why it doesn't recognize the input signal has got me stumped big time...if you could think of any small detail that may lead to me getting it sorted that would be great.

Datsun180- Yea them two look same as each other and would no doubt be doing the same thing as the jaycar ones wanting the same input signal wire from the speed sensor as well so that's why i am wondering on peoples first hand experiences as to which one works and why it doesn't ect....hopefully we can get to a conclusion.

Robbo_Rb180 - yea mate i notice that thread....I think i have read and scene every thread link to 'jaycar ..S13 ..rb25 box..Speedo corrector.." etc google has to offer .

Billywihiz - sounds exactly like my problem mate, I went and got another one today to try thinking it might be the unit but same result. I was told to use the online instructions as well, noticed the input and output wires were changed the first time anyway so there should be no issue with that. I am also getting the correct fluctuating AC voltage (depending on wheel speed) to the input wire point on the circuit board....but no flashing led to acknowledge the signal....Did you get it to recognize your input signal mate ? as in flashing led every 1hz . ?

Seams to be a bit of mention about the speedo correction units but not a lot of first hand S13 / S13/ Rb installs. Sic S15 seams to be my main contact as he has had one working first hand

Edited by benson93

both Jaycars didn't recognise the signal (no flashing LED)

I'd like to confirm the signal coming to the speedo is the same as sent from speed sensor to ECU etc.

My understanding is the voltage ramps up quickly to around 6v as you accelerate from zero, the actual speed data is contained within signal pulses, but what range, are they AC crossing through zero or square wave pulses starting from zero to 6v. When I have this information via an oscillascope I can cross check Hummingbird/Dakota specs before placing $100-200 order.

I don't want to solder my speedo, currently have 3.9 final drive but see myself going back to 3.7 to avoid rev limiter in 5th on the PI straight. Right pain if I had to resolder every time I changed my diff/final drive.

Which Jarcar kit do you have, the one you solder together yourself? (like this photo) I put one together for my 80 series landcruiser which is working perfect.

I located the speed sensor wires and then adjusted the little blue and white arrow with until you get the desired speed

I followed this guide, I know its landcruiser but might help (you will need a sign in on their forum for the photos etc..)

http://www.offroad80...on-t482-15.html

jarcar.jpg

Edited by Hawker180

Myself and sounds like Benson93 used the ready built kit

http://www.jaycar.com.au/medias/User-Manual-AA0376.pdf?context=bWFzdGVyfHJvb3R8MTI5NDQ1fGFwcGxpY2F0aW9uL3BkZnxoMmQvaDI1Lzg4MjQxNTkwNDM2MTQucGRmfDNiNTJjZjI0OWEzOWJmMDYwOTcwYzhmMmYzZjE0NTRlOGFlYmNmYzExNDA5NDIwNDlhMTYzYjJlYjgyMGNhNjQ

Think we first need to find out if the signal going to our speedo behind the dash is the same as the signal leaving the sensor or it's altered along the signal path by ECU etc.so doesn't match with signal formats expected by Jaycar device

I had the build it yourself kit not the prebuilt one. The instructions look almost identical from memory including changing the jumpers, so I assume they're wired pretty much the same.

I threw my old one out a couple of weeks ago unfortunately.

billywiz, the sensor is wired directly to the dash, there is only wiring inbetween.

Yea billywhiz I have the 'digitech' one from jaycar, tried ringing digitech today for technical help but can only get the person at the warehouse reading you the instructions as they just import them etc etc....

I am almost certain the wire from the non grounded wire out of the sensor goes straight up to the cluster with out changing (yellow/ blue) and the other one from the sensor goes direct to ground behind the cluster (yellow / black) it then changes colour to yellow /green out of the speedo back to the ecu....as for what the ecu does with it Im not sure,...im lead to believe nothing, as to why it goes through that loop I also dont know, was going to try the yellow / green wire as an input and see if it recognize it....but then if it did what would you have as an output...the other side ? but then that wouldn't change the speedo reading...I wouldnt think.. really not sure why this simple mod is so frustrating its really giving me the shits.

would be good for some more first hand input from someone that has also installed one of these successfully on there nissan.

I have found the silicone chip magazine which details the function and operation of the unit in much greater detail as to what all the switches do manually etc ....Thought I would have some success playing with them rather than the 'auto' A switch....but I believe I have tried all combinations without success. Maybe you can try them billywhiz.

the download will be on the right and pages 65-70 I think. https://archive.org/...ine_2006-09_Sep

If anyone can come up with any ideas as well from the more detailed magazine write up that would be good also.

Edited by benson93

My only experience was with a customer made jaycar unit many years ago. I fit/use a lot of the dakota ones and they just work. There are suppliers in Australia. The best part about them is their ability to convert a sin wave signal to a square wave signal and vice versa when doing conversions etc. But seriously quit giving yourself headaches and f**king around and just get something that works.

Thanks for you input Protius much appreciated- yea im keen to get 'something that works'..but just trying to confirm what does work first hand, by you saying that you have used and installed the dakota unit successfully on the Sr Rb sensors leans me towards getting one of them.

Having the jaycar unit in my possession already and people saying they have also installed and used them successfully (also unsuccessfully though) makes me curious as to why it would work in one instance and not the other, as in it being my personal setup being the problem and not the 'norm' in which case may mean I buy the dakota one and it will also not work, hence trying to cover the ins and out of the workings of these units to 'bench test' the theory of the working process to eliminate the 'It just works' or it 'just doesn't work'.....

If you wire the RB sensor into the standard speedo wiring and it at least reads, you know nothing is wrong on your end.

Also there are jumpers on the back of the speedo cluster to allow correcting without anything aftermarket ;)

Edited by Protius

Yea join the wires togeather and then the speedo works so yea must just be the jaycar unit.....or the setup of it (switches/ links) but like i said i think i have now tried evey combo to get it to pick it up. Yep iv scene the adjustments on the back of the needle speedo but mine is a digital one and couldnt see them, plus its reading just under half what it should be so to much adjustmet for them anyway.

I fit/use a lot of the dakota ones and they just work. There are suppliers in Australia.

Out of curiosity, where? last time this was mentioned, I did a few searches to no avail, all were in the US.

That's them. I've been buying them from those guys for at least a year now.

yes, probably a reason why jaycar is $30 and doesn't work while this was $185 - it's the dogs bollocks.

They recommend settings for how far out it was, mine was only 12%, so High in High out using output1.

They have an analyser function that displays the speedo signal pulses per minute - so I didn't need to bother with an oscilloscope, I could see the signal being intercepted was stuffed or good.

They even have a test function where you can send certain PPMs to the speedo while car is stationary.

Longest setup time (few minutes) was deciding where to put it as it's about twice the size of the jaycar unit IIRC.

Billywhiz, as someone who is a total noob with wiring - mind explaining how to do the install?

Thinking of ordering the dakota digital kit.

guys with Z32 boxes or RB25 boxes.. could you not just use a Z32 NA Manual speed sensor?

Z32 NA Manual rear diff ratio is 4.08 which is the same as a SR20DET Manual diff