Sign in to follow this  
Coastie

Blow through Maf and tuning question

Hey guys

Soon I'm planning on redoing all my intercooler piping and intake and I've been looking at upgrading to one of these HPX MAFs -

http://www.pmas-maf.com/hpx/

Has anyone used one of these? I'm assuming the HPX-N2 is the one to use since it says nissan.

I thought I might as well make it a blow through setup, where's the best place to put it?

Also would changing the Maf make it more difficult to tune or is it just a matter of changing a value, the tuner has already told me to allow $400 for a touch up tune but I haven't told him I'm planning to make this change yet, just wondering if he'll want to charge extra!

Cheers

On my old rb20 i had the afm in the cold pipe. No tune or anything, afrs were sweet

Do you know if they have to be a certain distance from the TB?

I've got a z32 afm at the moment, maybe I could get a Hpx calibrated the same but I'll be getting a tune for more power anyway haha

From what I read it's better to put it closer to tb, however what's also important is to have some nice straight pipe without bends in front of it. That would make reading more accurate!

you don't want to be too close to the TB otherwise the turbulence on the outlet side will screw tuning up. id say leave a 3-4 inches of straight pipe after the maf would be ideal.

the r35 maf is good for running upto 20psi on a 2871 sized turbo. much after that it will peg and you will not get any more resolution out of it. you will have to scale it to make it work.

I believe nistune got 280rkwk out of their R34 with the r35 maf.

if you want to keep MAF then id go with something easily scalable. N2 looks easily scaleable, as is Z32pmas maf. I like the idea of the z32 one as they just add the scaling to the maf its self and send it too you, if you got pfc or similar you just select Z32 and happy days.

Thanks guys, I'll be aiming closer to 300kw on about 22psi, I've just got a Nistune

So just to clarify, if I were to move my z32 from where it is pre turbo to after the intercooler it wouldn't need to be retuned? It seems like it'd be fine because the same amount of air is flowing through it but I'm reading mixed opinions, some people seem to think it needs tuning.

You did it without any problems Bling? Did you check the afrs and shit?

yes.. moving your AFM from unpressured to pressured side will affect the TP Load, not dramatically but enough to see a difference when you're doing a trace. Then there's the chance of it hitting a wrong cell with too much timing or too little which could end up with unfavourable results.

Thanks John, yeah after more research and talking to my tuner I've decided against it, the cons seem to out weigh the pros.

Plus I don't like the sound of having to clean it regularly because of the oil in the intake, I'm just going to get one of those Hpx types in 3.5 inch and put it in the stock position.

Cheers guys!

let us know how ya go too coastie, interested in results!

as i may go to a HPX unit too once i sort out some issues. more pressing priorities in life atm to worry about the weekender :P

80mm intake should be plenty for your use based on their website lol. they reckon it supports 800hp or something like that??? unless you have a 3.5" intake then go for it haha.

I assume 800hp would be with a blow through application, can you even suck that much power through a 3 inch pipe? Haha, I heard the R35 mafs max out at 300kw in 3 inch but hpx are scaled better.

I don't know I was under the impression that bigger is better for the intake, I'm planning to weld one up myself so thought I'd make it bigger while I'm at it and it might make some better noises haha. If there's not much point going bigger I'll just stick with the z32 lol

Questions is rising on any level and it is the good practice that will promote the spirit of asking the questions. Furthermore custom writings reviews gives you some link so that you can see the answers of various questions.