Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Honda Accord automatic transmission filter - Hardtuned.net

Honda Accord automatic transmission filter 

14 replies to this topic

#1 stockblues15

• Car:JDM S15 Spec-R

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

Had an interesting phone call to the Honda parts department today.

They told me that the transmission oil filter sitting on top of the bell housing in the return hose from the cooler back into the transmission doesn't actually exist. Even though I provided a part number, the item is for sale on various American car parts sites for around $20, and I have seen it not only on my own car but in numerous pictures of other cars. I obviously must be halucinating!

I have actually seen pictures of several cut in half and it is indeed a standard looking paper element filter and nothing magical from the land of Honda. So why won't they sell me a paper element oil filter?

The way I figure it, they won't sell a filter, and the service manual says not to change the fluid until 140,000km, so maybe they want the transmissions to fail after warrantee expires so they can get several grand for a rebuild. Or am I being to cynical?

Maybe I just go with a magnefine filter, although I am a bit suspicions of a plastic case filter. I haven't heard of any popping due to oil pressure, although heard of them splitting when mounted under the engine and then gets hit by a rock.

Edited by stockblues15, 17 June 2013 - 05:54 PM.

#2 pmod

• Car:Fruity 180sx

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

Could be a similar situation to the fuel filter in the MA70 Supra, which was a very high-end design, intended to never be replaced and last 1 million miles. Toyota's offical statement was that the filter was not supposed to ever be replaced, and mechanics that had cut up oem filters from cars that had done over 300k miles, found that they were like new inside.

However, it's more likely that it's just Honda Australia being special. These are the same guys that advised me that the crank pulley bolt for an F22A1 is now a discontinued part, after I returned an H22A bolt they had sold me instead, as it was listed under the F22A1 category. The two look completely different, and are not even slightly interchangable.

Edited by pmod, 17 June 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#3 stockblues15

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

I did read that some people think the filter is protective only, designed to trap large chunks in the case of a massive failure rather than filter impurities from the oil. However that is still guesswork. However if I want to buy one they should sell it to me regardless.

Anyway I now have to pay postage to get one online from the UK which doubles the price, and Honda Austalia miss out on a sale. Harvey Normal would be pissed. :angry:

Edited by stockblues15, 17 June 2013 - 05:55 PM.

#4 kriss

• Car:A31 - CHEV

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:08 PM

I work at Honda
Accords don't have an external filter for the transmission it's inside the gearbox
It's o ly ever changed if the box is rebuilt

#5 stockblues15

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

See the exploded view of the transmission in post #4, it's marked as item 4.

http://www.driveacco...ead.php?t=66121

And yes when you pop the hood and take a look it actually does exist.

The following has a lot of hi-res pictures from a Civic. The filter is the same part number as the Accord.

http://www.fitfreak....ion-filter.html

#6 kriss

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

What year accord is it?
I'll look it up tomorrow but in the 4 years I've worked at Honda I've never seen that replaced or seen it at all, no Honda has a trans filter that needs to ever be changed unless getting rebuilt

#7 stockblues15

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:03 PM

My car is a 2005 Accord Euro 5SP auto. The part number is 25430-PLR-003.

Yes the filter is not needed to be replaced at specific service intervals, supposedly it is designed for the life of the transmission. Which is why no dealer seems to know about them.

I suspect they probably don't get very dirty as the only contaminants expected in a transmission are metal particles (hopefully trapped by the plug magnet) and friction material which I expect is very fine and stays suspended in the fluid.

I had to put some Dextron III in my transmission recently as it was low, I was heading to Port Macquarie that day, and Honda dealer wasn't open. So I am doing a full fluid flush and wanted to change the filter as well for good measure. The parts guy also said I could do a full flush with 4 litres even though the service manual says a bit over 7 litres is required. Buy full flush I mean drain and fill, then break the cooler pipe and run engine to pump old fluid out of torque converter into bucket until colour changes (stopping regularly to top up with new fluid of course). I suspect 4 litres is not correct either.

#8 kriss

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:46 AM

You're reading into it way too much

Why are you so dead set on changing it?

#9 stockblues15

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:44 AM

I'm really much more interested in changing the fluid. So while researching that I'm reading about people in the US buying them for like $20 to replace, so I thought "why not replace it". Just thought it was interesting/strange that it is frowned upon so harshly by Honda Australia to the point that they deny such a part exists. I'm pretty sure if the part number is entered into the computer it will come up, just likely there won't be any stock and it will have to come from Japan.

So I think I will probably just do a flush with the newer synthetic DW1 fluid (better heat stability) and call it a day.

I guess my only remaining peeve with Honda is the maintenance schedule for replacing the transmission fluid appears to be way too long. I generally follow the maintenance schedule for my daily, so in preparing to change the transmission fluid I start reading all sorts of horror stories about failing transmissions if you don't change it every 30,000km. Granted a lot relate to the V6 which puts much more abuse onto the transmission, but there is more than enough noise about the I4 having issues to be a little careful about it.

If you are interested in some info about Honda's automatic transmission issues, this site is worth reading: http://www.brisdance...a/AutoPage.html

The short summary is the transmissions generate clutch pack wear and intense heat because they overlap engagement of 2 gears during a shift causing intentional slippage (as do most other autos to prevent engine RPM flaring and making shifting smooth). They also use intentional slippage with the torque converter clutch to smooth engagement. The clutch packs are smaller than other transmissions due to the "automated manual gearbox" configuration of the transmission, so they are subjected to more force to handle the same torque.So they place very high demands on the fluid, which is why Honda fluid is a must, and the synthetic DW1 is best (and specified as mandatory for the latest models). My take on all this is you want to use the best quality fluid you can buy and replace it semi-regularly.

#10 kriss

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

The part does exist it's $55 retail
Why is the time between transmission flushes to big? It's every 120,000 for automatics

#11 blingcommander

• Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

The fluid is usually pretty cooked by that time and you need to put about 6-7 litres through it to grt it nice and happy again.

#12 Bloke

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:57 AM

If you use the right transmission oil in it, there's no reason why it can't do the prescribed interval.

Sure, they had a history of going bang when they were new, but they were all replaced with new transmissions under recall.

#13 stockblues15

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:44 PM

Yes fluid looks very dark and I am still a tad off the 120,000 mark. It was the same fluid that it left the factory with, so I assume Honda filled it right, until I did an emergency top up with about a litre of Dexron III. It was dark before that top up though.

All the transmission recalls had completed in 2004, a year before my car was even built. Supposedly from the CL7 model all known issues were addressed, however more than a few people are still reporting problems on the various consumer complaint websites.

This transmission has always had a few quirks that manifest usually when slowing for a round-about then accelerating hard without coming to a full stop. Mostly it delays power for 1 to 2 seconds as it shifts, very rarely it lets the engine rev hard before engaging the clutch causing violent shuddering until you back off. This has all happened since new, and is reported all over so it is not just an isolated problem with my transmission, but you learn how to drive to avoid it happening. So the failures could depend on how you use the transmission, if your driving style brings on the shuddering regularly it could cause early failure.

Anyway current plan is to just flush with ATF-DW1 fluid, which should last well after I sell it.

Edited by stockblues15, 20 June 2013 - 10:46 PM.

#14 stockblues15

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

Had a call from Honda Parts department. The parts manager heard about my request and ordered in some stock so I will get one while I am there. If anybody else wants them, Hornsby Honda in NSW has some, just don't buy 'em all before I get mine.

Edited by stockblues15, 21 June 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#15 stockblues15

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:26 PM

Just to follow up. Got the filter, 2 x 4litres of ATF-DW1 and flushed out the system and replaced the filter. Used almost all the fluid (only maybe 1/2 a litre left over after flushing).

Old fluid was pretty dark, magnet had minimal sludge on it, no idea what the old filter had inside it.

I know why it is rare to replace the filter. Need to remove the entire airbox to get at it, and even then it is difficult to get at the hose clamps to get them off. However not impossible because I did it.

To flush, it seems the easiest way is to disconnect the return hose from the bottom of the radiator. It's the side closest to the engine pulleys (drivers side for RHD). Connect some hose to the radiator outlet and run to a bucket. Then run the motor for 5 seconds, top up the fluid, repeat several times until the fluid going into the bucket looks new. Connect everything back up, top up the fluid and your done. Be sure to check the fluid after your test drive.

I have to report the transmission is shifting much better now. Some of the peculiar traits have either gone or significantly reduced.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!